26 July 2012: Bell Centre, Montreal, QC, Canada
- Mylo Xyloto
- Hurts Like Heaven
- In My Place
- Major Minus
- Lovers In Japan
- The Scientist
- Violet Hill
- God Put A Smile Upon Your Face
- Princess Of China
- Up In Flames
- Warning Sign
- Don't Let It Break Your Heart
- Viva La Vida
- Charlie Brown
- Us Against The World
- Speed Of Sound
- Fix You
- Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall
Photos from this show can be found at Coldplaying.com in the Gallery thread for Montreal. http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/1968
Videos from this show can be found in the first post of the Coldplaying forum live thread for this show at http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90975
All post-show discussion for this show at the forum thread http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90975
All fan reviews have been submitted to us by the members of Coldplaying.com, unless stated otherwise.
I can't believe I waited 10 months for this and it's over now. Where to begin ... Ok first of all amazing light show. Does Coldplay need this ? No. Was it f#&$@! Amazing ? Yes. Second of all, the set list really disappointed me. Princess of china we don't need ... Don't let it break your heart was ok .... But I was so excited for warning sign and speed of sound. I have Ben waiting for so many months to hear warning sign and I was nervous when I saw they played trouble in Toronto.
I have listened to all the festivals this summer (rock in Rio, Glastonbury, iTunes and more) and I was getting used to hear Chris joking and talking to the crowd. Not enough "blabla" with the crowd IMO tonight. I found that they just got on stage, played, and left. But still it was insane. Favorites moments of the night: God put a smile HELLO THAT WAS INSANE !! The scientist with the crowd singing. Viva !!!! Fix you. Clocks. Warning sign my fav. Anyways I would review the set list because really princess of china has nothing to do there. Politik is missing and I wouldnt close with ETIAW. I can't wait for tomorrow to see if they are gonna make some changes. After tomorrow it'll be over. So many months of waiting and no more Coldplay shows before ... Years? Who knows. [thanks LauCH]
Had the time of my life last night in Montreal. Even though I've watched so many shows on line, and read all kinds of great comments from other fans, I was still completely blown away by the whole experience. The show truly was spectacular. To see classic songs like In My Place, Yellow, and Fix You performed live will be unforgettable. Highlights for me were Charlie Brown, GPASUYF, and Warning Sign . I've got to say I thought the crowd was great and totally into it – from my perspective anyway . And finally, what a joy it was to watch Chris – words fail me here. Thanks to all of you who have posted all pics and vids. It's hard to believe I was there! [thanks Magnolia]
Good morning people! Great show on from the guys last night, but I don't feel like the crowd really stepped up. A few times during the show, Chris started singalongs and such, and sometimes they were followed only by awkward silence In any case, it was a great night, the setlist was pretty good (can't say I'm a fan of PoC being played live though). [thanks Hux90]
Im finally home and able to write my review of this amazing show. I flew all the way out to Montreal from Vancouver with Coldplay and Montreal itself playing host to an amazing trip. Thursday, the morning after I landed was a day full of excitement, especially when I wandered by the Bell Center and saw the postings on the door! I knew this trip would be memorable, and suspected the camera crew's to be there, but it was an amazing surprise none the less. Even more excited for Live 2012 now. Getting there early there was an amazing vibe around the Center. Talking to some fans and swapping stories about past Coldplay shows, many were shocked at our commitment to the band to travel as far as we did. The opener sucked. The crowd got me warmed up more. Now I pride myself on saying Vancouver crowds are amazing, the Montreal crowd was way better than any crowd in Vancouver. Ever. The wave before the show was mind blowing, I have never seen that at a concert before and it got me pumped. Then when 99 Problems started playing I did my rap and got amped. I air conducted to Back to the Future (I know other do it too!) Then the show began. What a show at that too. With it being my 5th show I feel like a season pro at Coldplay shows. With that said, I had never seen the band that AMPED to play a show ever before. Chris came out with more energy than normal. Jonny and Guy were inseparable. The crowd powered the show! A negative to seeing them so many times, is that all the songs aren't new to me. Coldplay fixed that. Yellow found meaning again dedicating it to Auora Colorado, with a stunning piano intro. Viva La Vida and Charlie Brown almost blew the roof off, and I wasn't the only one jumping in the stands! I am still speechless as to how bloody amazing the show was. A top notch show for a top notch city. Not only did I fall in love with Montreal, I fell for the band again and even harder. Well worth the trip, and to anyone thinking of traveling to see these guys, put Montreal in the poll position of places to go. The city is one of the best in the world not just for the band and environment. Merci Montreal and Coldplay! [thanks Malcolm-Edge]
Montreal Gazette: You can’t even trust artists to avoid dropping spoilers these days. Walking through the Bell Centre doors on Thursday, you were given a nifty Coldplay bracelet. Walking into the belly of the arena, you were requested via a host of screens to wear the device, because “it will light up automatically in the show.” Then you were given a pictorial lesson in how to apply a bracelet to a wrist, just in case you had already spent your paycheque at the beer concession.
Maybe this was pedantry, but it was also insurance. Because when Coldplay took the stage and segued from the scene-setting Mylo Xyloto to the sprightly Hurts Like Heaven, and thousands upon thousands of flashing wristbands turned the packed Bell Centre into a neon wonderland, it was one of those rare moments that will be seared in the memory of even veteran concertgoers.
It wasn’t the only time Coldplay transcended the spectator-sport nature of arena rock during the first of two shows at the venue. When fans weren’t a living part of the set design, they were fully engaged by tireless and eternally jovial singer Chris Martin – a man who can take cheerleading clichés like “let me see those beautiful hands” and make them sound like revolutions in crowd participation. He wasted no time in praising the audience for enduring “the traffic and the ticket prices and all the other s— you have to go through for a concert” – all the (bleep) most artists never acknowledge – promising in return that “we’re going to try to play the greatest f—ing show we’ve ever played in our lives.” He probably meant it, and if he makes the same vow to Friday’s full house, he’ll probably mean it again then.
Because Martin was singing – make that performing; this is an entertainer above all else – as if this was the last concert Coldplay would ever give. During In My Place, he had travelled around the circumference of the graffiti-scrawled main stage, acknowledging the obstructed-view seats along the way, before guitarist Jonny Buckland was even done with the intro. When Martin cued the confetti cannons to fire – all those bracelets still twinkling – it felt like an encore less than 10 minutes into the show. Even more astonishing, the atmosphere was so ecstatic that it felt like Coldplay had already earned an encore.
Lovers in Japan was ushered in with chiming guitar and psychedelic balloons (filled with more confetti), pointing to two pillars of influence: U2 for panoramic scale and the Flaming Lips for amusement-park elation. Great influences to have, especially if one can get beneath the surface and mine the Lips’ genuine joy and U2’s genuine spiritual salvation. Coldplay brought forth all of the former and a healthy dose of the latter.
The eruption of raw enthusiasm that met The Scientist was as magic as that spine-melting, soul-healing piano melody. Yellow was dedicated to Aurora, Colo., starting as a churchly and heartfelt eulogy before the familiar full-tilt arrangement kicked in with the house lights blazing. Another premature but justified encore. The first half of the show was so dynamic, so inspirational that Coldplay risked delivering a top-heavy set. But the momentum didn’t flag, aside from the electro-pop identity crisis Princess of China – the first of several songs played on a secondary stage, with Rihanna’s piped-in duet vocal setting up an awkward situation where Coldplay became its own backing band. It was a rare lapse in taste, quickly redeemed by the sweet Up in Flames and Warning Sign, whose feather touch could be felt in the corners of the room.
Indeed, Coldplay have become masters at the art of filling a vast space, and not just musically. Along with those wristbands (which flickered back to life sporadically throughout the show), there were the circular screens hanging from the rafters, the glowing inflatable ciphers that surreptitiously appeared at the exits before a relentless Don’t Let It Break Your Heart, Martin’s frequent trips down the catwalk, and especially the encore played on a platform set up in the far reaches of the red seats. Few bands have taken such advantage of the physical possibilities presented by a cavernous venue, and fewer still have made the Bell Centre feel so intimate.
The common criticisms levelled at Coldplay – lightweight, thematically vague, more in tune with the signifiers of anthemic drama than with drama itself – were irrelevant on Thursday. If the show’s visual element had a frivolous side, it was also magical. There was no missing the overriding theme of connecting with the masses. And in an atypically stern God Put a Smile Upon Your Face, a plaintive Fix You and more than a few other moments, the drama was very real. As a whole, the evening was a revelation – in terms of what arena shows can be and, for detractors, in terms of what Coldplay can be. Only the band members know if it was the greatest show they ever played, but it may well have been the greatest show the Bell Centre has seen so far in 2012.
- @coldplay: Wear something nice if you're coming to the Montreal shows #coldplayfilm PH
- @EmilieGranger96: @coldplay at the concert in montreal, glow in the dark shirts ! All set .
- @cris2820: With my love at Coldplay in Montreal. Very excited that they filming their DVD here. Such an honor.
- @gocarli: At Coldplay show. Complimentary tracking devices! #coldplaymovie #montreal http://pic.twitter.com/lbpIgBPU
- @charli_xcx: JUST SUPPORTED @COLDPLAY IN MONTREAL AND IT WAS AWESOME!! Xxx
- @biancaamarrocco: At coldplay with the sis #coldplayfilm #Montreal can't wait to see my favourite band #1fan
- @PPapineau: Geared up for Coldplay in Montréal! #ColdplayFilm http://pic.twitter.com/MnHpvQCZ
- @hardingleah: @Coldplay could u pls dedicate FIX U' 2nite in Montreal to Karla Santos she passed June 22 of brain tumor and fix u was on when she passed
- @KarinaVigil: I'm in the same building as Chris Martin? Is this real life? #montreal #coldplay
- @StLaurent19: @coldplay Your opening gig in montreal is awful #enoughsaid #getonstage
- @josh_ostapchuk: Apparently @Coldplay is filming their concert DVD tonight at the Montreal concert. Good thing I wore something nice! #coldplayfilm
- @kkkimT: Its gonna be sickkkk #coldplay #montreal #coldplayfilm
- @MarcusWilby: @coldplay Too bad that there were not enough bracelet for eveyrone! #Boo :(( #Montreal
- @Lorna2119: The MX concert is about to start== 20mins.... :) #montreal #coldplay #concert
- @NicolasBilodeau: Coldplay in Montreal tonight!!! @coldplay http://pic.twitter.com/PuVDBOat
- @DanyPapineau: #coldplay #montreal http://instagr.am/p/NkLlEcDGw4/
- @Didie_K: COLDPLAY IN MONTREAL!!!! http://pic.twitter.com/vhGSw11O
- @RyGeor: Chris Martin wearing a red square #coldplay #Montreal
- @dalteen: Coldplay in Montreal. Unbelievable!!! http://pic.twitter.com/hGNWydCF
- @s_desrosiers: I'm at the Coldplay concert in Montreal. What about you?
- @lamodeavecstyle: #coldplay #montreal http://instagr.am/p/NkPgfCQegE/
- @TraceyBrookePR: @coldplay #chrismartinamazingness #coldplayfilm #montreal #coldplayconcertMTL http://pic.twitter.com/BLdx6Zce
- @jphilgarneau: Warning Sign. @coldplay @evenko #coldplay #bellcenter #myloxyloto #montreal @ Centre Bell http://instagr.am/p/NkQ-RxRC6a/
- @DJUBS: Magie. #coldplay #montreal http://instagr.am/p/NkRoLrg3jF/
- @oxfamontour: Enter stage left - les ballons! #coldplay #montreal http://instagr.am/p/NkSjR4gkAo/
- @oxfamontour: Amazing Oxfam Québec volunteers at Coldplay Montreal http://instagr.am/p/NkSw82AkA0/
- @Mlauz: The boys are here!!! #Now #live @evenko @coldplay Montreal!!! http://pic.twitter.com/iNYr3Yhu
- @i0livier: Para-Para-Paradise ! #Coldplay #Montreal #ColdplayMTL1 http://instagr.am/p/NkUKQLTCaE/
- @RyGeor: Last one. #coldplay #montreal http://instagr.am/p/NkUDCsyJ9o/
- @drewhadleyphoto: Axing show Montreal #coldplay http://lockerz.com/s/228564735
- @oxfamontour: Fix you, Coldplay Montreal. http://instagr.am/p/NkVlCSgkDI/
- @oxfamontour: Montreal glowing in the dark avec Coldplay http://instagr.am/p/NkWuNUgkDu/
- @TheJordanMcPhee: Anyone who is a Coldplay fan should buy tickets and fly to Montreal for tomorrows show. I'm lost for words
- @katieparkman: Absolute perfection @coldplay in #montreal pic.twitter.com/ZKzq5wMR
- @oxfamontour: Goodbye Coldplay confetti! Bon nuit Montreal! http://instagr.am/p/NkXVBSgkEJ/
- @NBBustos: @coldplay thank you for the amazing show in Montreal ! You guys rocked the place out ! #coldplayMtl
- @oxfamontour: Got to love a laser... #Coldplay #Montreal #lovefoodhateinjustice http://twitpic.com/ac54gp
- @SirGaryThomas: @coldplay just saw the greatest concert ever in Montreal! When does the DVD come out?
- @Roxanne_Cha: @Coldplay Oh. My. God. I'm breathless. Thank you guys for this. Montreal loves you! http://pic.twitter.com/GGgoLETH
- @patriciassecret: #coldplay #live #Montreal http://instagr.am/p/NkZ7_zhAHd/
- @charli_xcx: COLDPLAY TONIGHT WAS AMAZING. BIG LOVE MONTREAL XXXX
- @daniel_diiorio: What an amazing show! #coldplay #montreal
- @BiancaBolouri: Did I mention @coldplay concert in Montreal gave everyone bracelets that would light up throughout the night http://instagr.am/p/Nka8qdDX2G/
- @scarletnewf: @coldplay in Montreal - amazing, worth the wait. http://pic.twitter.com/9cIS09C8
- @Tony649: Found true love at Coldplay Montreal! Happy Anniversary Sweetbaby #Coldplay http://pic.twitter.com/4VZGDjJG
- @Alrousso: Des confettis, des ballons! #coldplayfilm #coldplay #centrebell #montreal #evenko http://instagr.am/p/Nkdug9E6OV/
- @Namakiki: @Coldplay was totally awesome in Montreal!!!!!!!!! Just one glitch: my wristband didn't glow lmao. #ColdplayFilm <3
- @BecauseOfGagaa: Coldplay was amazing <3 #coldplay #montreal #tonight http://instagr.am/p/NkeE2DB4R1/
- @naemo19: Thank you @coldplay for this AMAZING night in Montreal, one of the best of my life. Will remember forever. #coldplaymtl
- @VeganFromVenus: #coldplay Montreal show. So sick. Best show so far. Wow!! @ Centre Bell http://instagr.am/p/NkeeRZLNQn/
- @ewdignam: The Montreal Coldplay concert was nothing short of amazing #coldplayfilm #coldplay #brilliant #Montreal
- @nallthatjazz: May have just had the best night of my life @Coldplay in Montreal. #Coldplayfilm http://pic.twitter.com/q8e8Qd21
- @richardgameiro: @coldplay thanks for the awesome show! You guys rocked! Until next time, #montreal will miss you guys http://pic.twitter.com/ga1WCcjE
- @m_cmorin: @coldplay Thank you so much guys! The show in Montreal tonignt was totally awsome! I had a great, great with you, I was in PARADISE!
- @elyssaboublil: Paradise #coldplay #chrismartin #montreal http://instagr.am/p/Nke0c-A1CC/
- @slakebrabant: I just saw @coldplay concert in Montreal. Most amazing show ive seen, and that I will ever see. #coldplaymtl #evenko
- @Roxanne_Cha: Hurts Like Heaven and first peek at our wristbands. @coldplay Montreal #coldplayfilm (CC @AJBollo ) http://pic.twitter.com/B0VMKgpo
- @CMurder84: @coldplay You just blew my mind. Amazing show! #ClassAct #TrueProfessionals #Montreal http://pic.twitter.com/xkDEM6DG
- @NinaHebert: So much awesomeness in just two hours - @coldplay live in Montreal
- @StephCammie: Amazing concert! Loved the wristbands! #Coldplay #Montreal #coldplayfilm http://pic.twitter.com/8XDRhi9F
- @FMaragoniPhoto: Sick Coldplay concert in Montreal http://pic.twitter.com/HlgQ3FF3
- @BH_67: Wow! #Coldplay #Montreal http://ow.ly/i/NKLm
- @JasonWells72: @coldplay Your dedication to Karla during 'Fix You' tonight in Montreal meant the world to everyone who knew and loved her... Thank You
- @brandchav: #Coldplay #CentreBell #Montreal #Quebec #Canada #TheEnd http://instagr.am/p/Nkjb7TPOYU/
- @jphilgarneau: @coldplay Thank you a thousand times. The best show I have ever seen. You guys know how to throw a big party. #montreal #bellcenter
- @Bumblebee_10: ColdPlay in Montreal!!! What a show!!! http://pic.twitter.com/0O0WC1FO
- @GabrielleKell: @coldplay Chris, Johnny, Guy, and Will; Montreal loves you with all our hearts.
- @carlyrankin: OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST CAME BACK FROM SEEING COLDPLAY LIVE AT THE BELL CENTRE IN MONTREAL!!! IT WAS AWESOME!(got a shirt and a bracelet) :)
- @emilyyaraujo: Gahhhhhh #ColdPlay #Montreal http://pic.twitter.com/dEym8Emh
- @ilincaenache: @coldplay Montreal concert was SURREAL. Can't wait for the DVD #coldplayfilm http://pic.twitter.com/BJ3BV9zI
- @meganowensx: so many bracelets :') #coldplay #coldplayfilm #montreal #music #bellcentre #bracelet #wristband http://instagr.am/p/Nkkyy2H0yS/
- @etienneplemieux: This show was indescriptible! Thanks to @coldplay for this great performance! Hope to see you guys soon in Montréal again!! #ColdplayMTL
- @ParisaParang: @coldplay #montreal http://instagr.am/p/Nkl5oMCYF0/
- @Penny_Z: @coldplay Terrific show in Montreal-Ingenious use of lights and props while leaving artistic integrity intact.Tx for an unforgettable night!
- @EscapistMusic: I'm back from the @Coldplay show in #Montreal. Best night of my f**king life,I couldnt hold my tears,seeing my favorite band in such a grace
- @JonesPetra: Oh my goodness, Coldplay in Montreal was unbelievable. Best night of the year by far. You have british fans wherever you go!
- @WW_14: These guys kicked ass tonight in Montreal #coldplayfilm #coldplay http://instagr.am/p/NkqOOdiKGr/
- @NPheng_x: #coldplay #montreal #concert http://instagr.am/p/Nks-3jOc2J/
- @emastrocola: Thanks for the awesome show in Montreal @coldplay I hope it was as good for you as it was for us! Hope you got all you needed #coldplayfilm
- @MonaElHusseini: Still can't over @coldplay 's incredible performance in #montreal pic.twitter.com/wTtrS2xo
- @mandypalladini: @coldplay what an amazing concert in montreal! You guys were awesome. I love you<3 #coldplayfilm
- @startmovingon: Wow!! I went to Coldplay's show in Montreal and I still find it hard to believe.This experience was just amazing, @coldplay we love you<3
- @VanAsveld: #coldplay a Montréal. Wow http://instagr.am/p/Nkib6Ph_8S/
- @lexa1969: Coldplay. Montreal. Best. Concert. Ever. http://pic.twitter.com/kFdZVx2g